Report it! & crisis contacts

Antisocial Behaviour
Noise Complaints
Student Issues
Houses in Multiple Occupation
Fly Tipping
Homeless People

viaduct-from-attic-crop-artoon-002Here are some helpful contacts for particular local issues or concerns. If there are any other areas you would like similar information about, please leave suggestions in the comments box at the foot of this page

Homeless People


To tell someone about Homeless people:

This service is now run by St Mungo’s Broadway (this is a national service – so please give precise geographical details)

or call  freephone 0300 500 0914.

Why not donate to St Mungo’s Broadway Support the charity which provides outreach care for rough sleepers in Brighton & Hove, making sure the funds are used in the best way to help as many people in need as possible. Help your change go a long way by donating online.

Useful contacts


For non-emergency Police reporting ring 101

Antisocial Behaviour

  • Anti-social behaviour takes in a range of nuisances, disorder and crimes which affect people’s lives on a daily basis, none are acceptable.
  • It is defined in the 1998 Crime and Disorder Act as ‘acting in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household’.
  • This behaviour is broken down into four main categories; the misuse of public space, disregard for community/personal wellbeing, acts directed at people, and environmental damage.

To find out more and to report antisocial behaviour, go to the SafeintheCity website antisocial behaviour pages

Antisocial behaviour can also be reported by phone

  • Call the Safe in the City casework team reporting line on (01273) 292735 This line is staffed Monday to Friday 9-5 with an answer machine service out of hours
  • Call the Brighton & Hove City Council call centre on (01273) 292929 This line is staffed Monday to Friday 9-5 with an answer machine service out of hours

And by email

Noise Complaints

To find out about the council response to noise issues, visit the council website noise pages  

To make a complaint to the council about noise, you should telephone : (01273) 292929 or email:

Your complaint should include:

  • your name and address and a daytime telephone number – anonymous complaints are not accepted
  • the address (or site) where the noise is coming from
  • the type of noise (such as loud music, barking dog, alarm sounding)
  • when and for how long the noise occurs
  • the way the noise affects you (such as keeps you awake)
  • anything you have done to try and deal with the problem (such as speaking to the person making the noise)

Noise Patrol

A noise patrol operates from 10pm to 3am on Friday and Saturday nights to monitor, gain evidence from and respond to noise problems affecting a large number of people. Contact can be made by telephoning (01273) 293541.

Student Issues

Brighton and Sussex Universities employ community liaison staff to assist in resolving problems involving students in the community. Where the behaviour of students is found to be unacceptable, they do have a range of substantial sanctions which they may use.

Sussex University: Mark Woolford:

Brighton University: Richard Roalfe:

If you are not sure which establishment your student neighbours attend, contact either Mark or Richard and they will normally be able to find this out.

Houses in Multiple Occupation

Not all shared houses are student houses – many young professional people house share across the city. Most HMO’s need to be licensed with the council, and licence conditions include reference to prevention of nuisance/antisocial behaviour. HMO’s in St Peters & North Laine are also subject to additional conditions. For more information, look HERE    A list of licensed HMO’s across the city can be viewed HERE 

If you have any questions about HMO’s, or think that an HMO in your area in not licensed, contact the Private Sector Housing on (01273) 293156 or  by e-mail on


The council is responsible for managing graffiti on council property and for the removal of offensive graffiti. They also give advice, support and (in some cases) practical help to businesses and residents where graffiti on their property is a problem. For more information on the council graffiti strategy, click HERE.

Where property is graffitied against the wishes and without the consent of the property owner, this may constitute a criminal offence. If you see somebody placing graffiti on a property you may also contact the police – if it is taking place at the time use 999 if it is has happened but the perpetrator is not present, use 101

The council works with artists to arrange for murals to be painted on some walls where graffiti is a problem. This can be helpful as it can result in a high quality piece of art rather than unsightly tags, and is likely to reduce the level of illegal graffiti on and around the mural. The council also works with media providers to manage the appearance of street junction boxes, either through ‘adopt a box’ where residents help to keep junction boxes outside their properties clean, or by art projects on boxes.

If you know of a space which could benefit from art treatment, click HERE for the council online form to give details.

Fly Tipping

Flytipping is the illegal dumping of waste items or material. It is a source of neighbourhood blight and can attract significant penalties following prosecution. The council and police will seek to prosecute for flytipping where the evidence is available, but for this they rely substantially on community members coming forward to report. If you see somebody tipping waste in your area, try to get any information about them – particularly vehicle type and registration if a vehicle is involved. If flytipping is ongoing you can report to the police on 999. If you are reporting it after the event, you should call the council on 01273 292929  use the council online reporting for HERE or email



2 thoughts on “Report it! & crisis contacts

  1. Derek Wright says:

    Can you help me by directing me to how you organised yourselves to work with the council to remove graffiti in the London Road Area , who did you deal with?

    Derek Save Madeira Terraces Campaign.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.