London Road Area LAT meeting – by zoom Tuesday 20th October, 18:30, Draft Minutes.

  1. Welcome, apologies and introductions

(Note: there was rather a hiccup at the beginning as the Council zoom booking software had got confused about the password)

Simon Bannister – BHCC – Communities

Hannah Barker – BHCC- Communities – taking a lead in this area

Adrian Hill, Lucy Dunleavy, Judi and Peter Lynn

Pete Wileman ( BHCC Safer communities team manager)

Diane Chandler, Kamber Koluman -Owner of business of (International Foods and Wines)- To come together and fix any issues and problems.

Corinne – minutes

Cllr Pete West

Apologies:

Lois Wilson – Vere Road (see AOB)

Father Ben Eadon – St Bartholomew’s Church

District Commander Dan Hiles – Acting Inspector

PCSO Sharon- could not attend but would get a colleague to attend (though ultimately flummoxed by zoom password problem)

Andy Keeffe

email update on University update.  Can you pass on my apologies as unfortunately I will not be able to attend the tonight’s meeting.  Please can you pass on this update to the residents.

Brighton University – currently about 80% of the University of Brighton teaching is being carried out online, with only essential attendance on campus being required by staff & students. Please let me know if there are any action points from the meeting that I can follow up on.

Many thanks  Andrew Keeffe

Community Relations and Housing Advice Officer
The Manor House
Moulsecoomb Place
Brighton
BN2 4GA

Sandy Crowhurst: Has another meeting tonight -NLCA AGM Thank you for the notice Philip. As mentioned in previous email, I apologies for non-attendance as, it clashes with our NLCA AGM.

Tony Firmin:

I hope you are well and managing during these very strange times.

Apologies for our non attendance at the virtual LAT – it is not really our thing but will possibly ‘attend’ on Tuesday.

Another reason for non-participation, however, is the stance that the LAT took regarding the license proposal by the Co-op for the old Maplins store. 

Tony + Mike

  • Philip Wells (PW) did write back to Tony.
  • Pete West : Attended the licensing meeting regarding the old Maplins store. There were representations from the LAT & Councilor Pete West, but more importantly the police had plenty of evidence of the effect of drinking etc. It was a very clear case that the application should not be granted. The police and the licensing authority have a very clear-cut case. There is evidence that there is a lot of issues and why this has been rejected.

Maureen:

I’m sorry not to have been able to attend any LAT meetings recently.

Just as an update, Ros and I remain very concerned that much of the Level needs attention and better maintenance. There is alot of graffiti and tagging, some notice boards have been vandalised, and the temporary gardener, who is working incredibly hard to maintain the flower beds, has been allocated the McLaren Room as his mess room, so this space cannot be used or maintained for it’s original purpose. There is rubbish behind the cafe. Coles Fair was permitted to take up its booking at the Level in September with apparently little Covid distancing precautions in place. Equipment in the children’s playground is not being repaired.  Nobody communicates with us.  It’s very depressing. – this was passed on to the meeting

2. Minutes of last meeting, date of next meeting – later, 24th November

  • Accepted these minutes
  • Next meeting: 24th November then not in December

3. MAIN ITEM – Policing update, how to focus issues of concern to residents e.g. Providence Place

  • The District Commander Dan Hiles sends apologies
  • Community Safety Manager Pete Wileman will attend, although a number of significant issues are outside his field.
  • Pete Wileman says: Nothing has been flagged up regarding Providence place, he needs more detail on the issues. Would like to speak to Judi (resident) about this. There is a meeting next week, he is happy to take details to the meeting from Judi. She will be in touch with him in the next couple of days.
  • Simon Bannister: He is not aware of any particular new issues at the moment. They have been more obvious in the past, there is always activity happening along the street.
  • There are going to be developments that will benefit the street, and any benefits from the other end of the street. It will then be up to residents on how it can be improved.
  • Judi (resident): There is good news: the corner unit is being turned into a barbers and an Orthodontist. At present above the hoarding, there is a horrible van, there at the moment, more development the better. There are currently no rough sleepers at present, but open drug dealing, and the attitude to using it as a toilet. No one has caught them. There is still a problem. Judi has been in touch with Jonathan Pile about Providence place, and the gardens. Traders are noticing issues. Action Point: Pete West will be in touch with the trader in the next couple of days. The police get the call when there is an issue around the city this includes Providence place.
  • Pete West: This area has been a focus of the LAT for years now. There is money from the section 106 that can go towards this area, this needs to be a planned strategy, and needs to be a multi agency approach. We need to recognize the issue and the nature of these things. It’s a commitment and admitting that there needs to be police presence. This is worth discussing, and is not just a Council issue.
  • It’s a large combined issue with all the developments.
  • Judi stated that there is a problem with the section 106 (from an historic 106 allocation some years back), money for the lift to the station, as its not working again. If there is money from the 106, we need to monitor these agreements to where the money goes, but we cannot take things for granted. It’s the ongoing maintenance that’s the issue.
  • Hannah Barker: Has stated that residents know how they can report issues they see and they know where to go and who to contact.
  • Peter Wileman: He will take this issue to the meeting next week. As the LAT we can write to Joe Player, with any other suggestions or comments.

4. Licensing

– Application for former “International Food and Wines” – 17 Preston Road has gone ahead. Licence applicant Kamber Koluman introduced himself.

5. London Road Area Development – including Longley Estates

  • Longley Estates – attempt to make contact with contractors
  • The building has now been completely knocked down
  • The contact on the railings:

Action point: Phil will follow this contact up. There has been noise, and we have now got a contact and so Phil will email them.

Email sent to alex.sangway@lgim.com 20/10/2020

– Update via Alan Buck and Planning Department for a remit for New England House.

copy:

Hi Philip
 Re. New England House:  our design team is currently progressing designs for the project – and I hope to be in a position to update later this year.  Things have been progressing in fits and starts over the last few months, mainly due to the Covid-19 situation – and we’re still going through a range of technical exercise before going back to members, hopefully towards the end of this year, to green-light the project, which is why I’m yet to have a timetable I’m confident in.
 I’d like to be able to use the LAT as a means of engaging with local stakeholders at appropriate stages in the project – if that’s ok with you of course (without making any undue assumptions I’m sure it will be!)
Hope that you’re managing ok in the ongoing situation and I’ll be in touch in due course when I have a timetable better mapped out. 
Best regards, Alan (26/8/2020

This is a reply from Debra May: There is a channel there for the Section 106:

Dear Philip,

Thank you for your email – your role and ongoing objectives through the local LAT are duly noted and welcomed. My role is to ensure compliance of the obligations under the s106 Agreement with the council delivering the necessary supporting infrastructure mitigating the impacts of the development. The s106 contributions are not yet allocated but are restricted to those measures identified in the s106 Agreement for the reasons as set out here, which is the government restrictions on securing s106 Planning Obligations and for these providing towards local infrastructure that the residents/visitors of the new development will typically use. Taking into consideration the measures and/or areas as identified in the s106 Agreement, council officers will of course welcome further comments and input from the LAT either directly through yourself or via our Major Projects Programme Manager Alan Buck. Regards,

Debra May | Principal Planning Officer (s106) | Development Management – East

  • The building noise: The noise has been starting at 6am in the morning. They are now starting later, and were very respectful.
  • There is a law that states that they should not be starting before 8am Monday-Friday and not at all on Sunday. This is stated in: (Construction environment management plan) that they have to follow. This can be enforced if needed.

6. ANY OTHER UPDATES

a. Cycling (Local Cycling Walking Infrastructure Plan – LCWIP)

  • A consultation closed on October 16th, and a submission was made WITH comments on behalf of the LAT.
  • Showing Priorities Cycle routes; (a map was displayed)
  • Philip Wells has made general comments to the plan
  • They are trying to see what the principal routes are at present.
  • Viaduct road is a hard road to deal with, as it is a major artery to the town. This is the main issue that they face. The issue is about making the decision on making it more cycling and walking.
  • There is no proper planned approach to this, so it will mean we will be starting from scratch.
  • Adrian Hill: Widening the road for cyclist will improve pollution levels. The highlighted routes are a hot spot for pollution.

b. Level

Reporting back on the update of the situation with the Level

Just as an update, Ros and I remain very concerned that much of the Level needs attention and better maintenance. There is a lot of graffiti and tagging, some notice boards have been vandalised, and the temporary gardener, who is working incredibly hard to maintain the flower beds, has been allocated the McLaren Room as his mess room, so this space cannot be used or maintained for it’s original purpose. There is rubbish behind the cafe. Coles Fair was permitted to take up its booking at the Level in September with apparently little Covid distancing precautions in place. Equipment in the children’s playground is not being repaired.  Nobody communicates with us.  It’s very depressing.

  • Simon Bannister has put Hannah Barker in touch with Maureen; they will be able to get together and decided on how to get events taking place.
  • Judi (resident): There has been a clean up operation in the town. If we do this more and if there is a feeling for a community effort to make things better. There must be people who want to get involved and it can be done. PW: Maureen would be keen on this and is a matter of connecting people together.
  • The tidy up team in the city have been successful over the past and they do focus on the green spaces etc.
  • Pete West: There was a meeting to have a more planned approach on how to improve the Level, but there has never been a proper plan on the events, upkeep of the level and the day-to-day upkeep of the Level. It’s a key location in the city. We cannot go round in circles with this area.
  • Simon Bannister update: There were a couple of meetings months back. There is going to be another attempt on getting it back on its feet and Hannah will be looking at this with Maureen on how we can resource this together.

c. Neighbourhood action plan (NAP) – Hannah will be looking at this and next time will be able to give more of an update on this

d. Open Market (if any) – none

e. Ongoing consultations and info

  • Licensing Consultation – deadline missed – but comment made in support of extending SSA (Special Stress Area)
  • Philip has made a contribution to this.

Please look and comment before it becomes a policy. If you would like Phil to make a comment please contact Phil.

7. Any other business – please inform before the beginning of the meeting

a. Email from resident of Vere Road:

Dear Reverend,

I hope all is well. Unfortunately I am unable to attend the zoom meeting this evening but I wanted to raise a point of concern.

I live at 12 Vere Road with my family – husband and 6 year old daughter. Along with 16 Vere Road, we believe that 14 Vere Road is intending to become either a full time air BnB or an HMO. I’ve written to ward councilor Pete West and he’s confirmed that no planning permission has been asked for or granted for this change of use. I don’t think there is anything I can do further until the owner has it up and running but I wondered if this is something of interest to the community group who may be able to help me getting it stopped. It has been a family home up until now.

Many thanks,

Lois

  • Philip wrote back in reply to this, to say that this is something that the Council is working on globally.
  • Pete West: There is no application on this from Air BnB, he has alerted planning officers to the issue and will follow up this issue and see if it needs a application. It then comes down to the amount of HMOs in the area already, if there is a lot of houses in the area it will not get permission.
  • If an Air BnB is breaching the rule of 6, this is a matter for the police.

b. Oxford gating scheme

  • The Doctors have approached the council who want to make a variation, as people want access from the rear.
  • The plan originally is to place two gates behind the pub. We don’t need two gates. Simon Bannister wants the doctors to finance the whole scheme. There is money that we have from this scheme and we can now put the money to another item.
  • The amount of money is about £500
  • A developer from the doctors wants to come to another meeting.

8. Close- at around 20:00