The Open Market is now up and running in the first stages of its new existence.
The grand opening 19th July 2014 was thronged with people + a Chinese Lion, a choir and much, much more.
As seen in January 2013 –
The redevelopment of the Open Market is underway. The old Open Market has now been demolished and works to build the new market have started. The building works are expected to take around 16 months and the new Open Market will be open for business in Spring 2014
A temporary market has been built on Francis Street so that trading can continue while redevelopment is happening. Eight of the existing market traders moved into these temporary stalls in January 2012. They will move once more during the redevelopment to allow the scheme to be built.
The reneneration of the Open Market is being run in partnership between the Open Market Traders, Hyde Housing Association and the City Council and will deliver:
- A new covered market with a double height central square for visiting markets, temporary stalls, community activities, street art and entertainment.
- 44 permanent market stalls around the central square offering a diverse range of goods that promote fresh, healthy food and local producers.
- 12 small workshops at first floor level, overlooking the central square, for arts and crafts people and producer/retailers.
- 87 affordable housing units built on both sides of Francis Street, which borders the south side of the Open Market, and on Ditchling Road.
- Opportunities for new business start ups and new jobs in the market and workshops.
- Additional benefits by supporting the wider regeneration of the London Road shopping area.
The new market will be managed by the Brighton Open Market Community Interest Company (CIC) as a social enterprise for the benefit of the local community. In the lead up to the opening of the new market, the CIC will be providing application packs to all those people interested in taking on a market stall. If you would like your contact details to be on the list of people interested in taking on a stall please email email@example.com or telephone 01273 296825.
For more information about this project visit the council website Open Market Redevelopment page