A TV opportunity! – from John Cook – Patcham Community Action Team #Brighton

Dear [ community-representing]  Colleague,

I have been given the opportunity to help in the making and recording of a new video (title to be decided) of life in our local communities.

The production team are very experience – having created and made full length programmes for the major TV companies in the UK and abroad – they will bring a wealth of relevant experience to the making of the programme.

The theme of the programme will centre about what is good in our communities (as oppose to the much negative news one constantly hears about) while at the same time presenting a balance view of some of the challengers residents face in their daily lives.

It aims to show that despite the grind of daily life, our communities are full of many wonderful opportunities that help 1,000’s of our local residents find enjoyment and fulfilment within a short walk of their homes.

I am told that Patcham will be at the heart of the programme but will include the wider community across Brighton & Hove.

If this project is of interest to you and you feel you have a story to share and would like to meet members of the production team to discuss matters in detail, please email me your initial thoughts and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Please share this email with as many of your colleagues as possible.

Many thanks,

Regards,

John W Cook – Hate Crime Ambassador & Community Advocate

Chairman – Patcham Community Action Team

john.cook@pcat.org.uk

Advertisements

Agenda London Road LAT #Brighton 18.15 for 18.30 6th Sept Calvary Church

 London Road LAT #Brighton 18.15 for 18.30 Tuesday 6th Sept Calvary Church, Viaduct Road

agenda

 

  1. Welcome, introductions, apologies
  2. Minutes 12th July  2016
  3. date of next meetings 4/10/16, 15/11/16 AGM – (we have gone ahead and asked guest speaker Geoffrey Mead – historian), 6/12/16 . Future plans?
  4. Policing and licensing:
    • outcome regarding situation of homeless/begging in south end of London Road
    • Policing activity and feedback (e.g. on Pride)
    • Level Community safety meeting Friday 9th Sept 10-11.30
    • Licensing hearings – Presuming Ed (licence granted within matrix and minor exceptions) – Yellow Book (application outside the matrix withdrawn)
  5. Planning issues
    1. there is currently a consultation on the City Plan 17.00-19.00 Thursday 8th Sept
    2. there is currently a consultation on City Parks
  6. Viaduct Road current status of consultation for community bins plans.
  7. report back on last HMO meetings and correspondence
  8. Financial future
    • we currently have a balance in hand
    • Calvary Church Trustees have currently offered free use of the premises for meetings
    • we need to arrange more publicity – fliers etc.
    • grants are available from various sources
  9. Various updates and projects in and around London Road
    • DRARA
    • Communities of the Level AGM was  30/8/16
    • BID – via Ann Townsend (if any)
    • Triangle
    • Francis Street
    • Barrows Residents Association
    • Rosehill Residents Association
  10. A.O.B. (please notify before the start of the meeting)

 

************************************************************************************

Addendum – Presuming Ed Licensing decision – this will go with the minutes of this meeting

RE: Licensing Act 2003 – Licensing Panel Hearing Notification of the Determination of Panel.

Licensing panel hearing held on Wednesday 20th July 2016 in respect of the application for a premises licence in respect of premises known as Presuming Ed Coffee House, 114-115 London Road, Brighton, BN1 4JG

Having read the papers and listened very carefully to all the submissions and representations made at the hearing, the Panel also considered the Council’s Statement of Licensing Policy. The premises lies within the Special Stress Area (SSA) which is deemed an area of special concern in terms of the relatively high levels of crime and disorder and public nuisance experienced within it and many of the representations make reference to this. However, the Panel recognised the applicant’s willingness to take on board the concerns of the responsible authorities and residents and that they have amended their application accordingly so that it fell broadly in compliance with the licensing policy for this area. The panel therefore decided to grant this application with the exception of off-sales, subject to the conditions offered and those which have been agreed with the police. These conditions are set out below with amendments offered and agreed regarding festivals and the outside courtyard area.

The Panel considered the application for off-sales but on balance considered that the inclusion of off-sales could increase public nuisance in this vulnerable area with already high levels of alcohol related anti-social behaviour.

Conditions to be attached.

General

  1. The sale of intoxicating liquor and other beverages shall be by waiter/waitress service for consumption by persons seated at tables and there will be no vertical drinking.

  1. Substantial food shall be available at all times that alcohol is offered for sale on these premises.

  1. During the 3 annual festivals listed below the hours for all licensable activity at the premises can be extended to 01:00 on Friday and Saturday where the Premises Licence Holder has notified Sussex Police and Licensing Authority in writing at least 7 days in advance:

    1. Brighton Fringe Festival – for the published duration of the festival

    2. Great Escape Festival – for the published duration of the festival

    3. Alternative Escape Festival – for the published duration of the festival

This festival extension of hours on Friday and Saturday is subject to the following additional conditions:

  • 2 SIA door staff to be employed at the premises from 23:00 hours until close.

  • There shall be a last entry time of 12 midnight.

  • A dedicated phone line shall be available to residents to call in the event of any concerns.

For the Prevention of Crime and Disorder:

  1. Digital CCTV and appropriate recording equipment to be installed in accordance with Home Office Guidelines relating to UK Police Requirements for Digital CCTV System (PSDB Publication Number 09/05), operated and maintained throughout the premises internally and externally to cover all public areas, including the entrance to the premises. The system shall be on and recording at all times the premises licence is in operation.

  • The CCTV cameras and recording equipment must be of sufficient quality to work in all lighting levels inside the premises at all times.

  • CCTV footage will be stored for a minimum of 31 days

  • The management will give full and immediate cooperation and technical assistance to the Police in the event that CCTV footage is required for the prevention and detection of suspected or alleged crime.

  • The CCTV images will record and display dates and times, and these times will be checked regularly to ensure their accuracy.

  • Subject to Data Protection guidance and legislation, the management of the premises will ensure that key staff are fully trained in the operation of the CCTV, and will be able to download selected footage onto a disk (or other electronic portable device acceptable to Sussex Police) for the police without difficulty or delay and without charge to Sussex Police.

  • Any breakdown or system failure will be notified to the police immediately & remedied as soon as practicable.

  1. At all times the premises is open to the public, the management will contract the back up services of an approved mobile support unit (MSU) 24 hours a day, with a minimum of 2 SIA registered Door Supervisors operating from it. A copy of the MSU contract will be retained at the premises and made available for immediate inspection upon request by Sussex Police or Council Officials. The MSU will be accredited by the Brighton Business Crime Reduction Partnership (BCRP) or other similar organisation approved by Sussex Police should the BCRP not be in existence.

  1. The premises will become a member of the BCRP or similar scheme approved by the Licensing Authority that operates with radios and uses the Nightsafe & Yellow Card Scheme or similar reporting scheme.

  1. Customers will not be allowed to take drinks outside the front after 22:00 and all tables and chairs outside the front of the building must be packed away by 22:00.

  1. Authorised staff employed by Sussex Police in the role of licensing officer shall have the right of access to the licensed premises during hours of operation for the purpose of inspection of the premises and premises records in order to ensure the promotion of the licensing objectives.

Additional conditions as stated in original application or agreed with another Agency

For Public Safety:

  1. An incident log will be maintained by the premises showing a detailed note of incidents that occur in the premises. The log will be inspected and signed off by the DPS (or a person with delegated authority) at least once a week. The log book should be kept on the premises and be available for inspection at all times the premises are open by authorised officers of the Licensing Authority or the police. An incident will be defined as being one which involves an allegation of a criminal offence. Any refusals made for alcohol service e.g. underage, will also be recorded in writing and feedback given to staff as relevant.

Additional conditions as stated in original application or agreed with another Agency

For the Prevention of Public Nuisance:

  1. Notices shall be displayed both within the premises and in the enclosed yard asking customers to be quiet and respect the needs of the local residents.

  1. The café sound system on the ground floor will be used for regulated entertainment. The speaker positions will be adjusted so as to prevent noise nuisance travelling towards neighbours.

  1. Smoking will be allowed in the courtyard to be open until 21:00 when the courtyard will be closed. Smokers will then be able to stand without drinks and smoke at the front in the street.

  1. Doors are to be kept closed at all times (other than for access and egress) and windows are to be kept closed at all times that regulated entertainment is in progress.

As stated in original application or agreed with Environmental Protection

For the Protection of Children from Harm:

  1. The premises will operate a “Challenge 25” policy whereby any person attempting to buy alcohol who appears to be under 25 will be asked for photographic ID to prove their age. The recommended forms of ID that will be accepted are passports, official Photographic Identity Cards issued by EU states bearing a hologram or ultraviolet feature, driving licences with a photograph, photographic military ID or proof of age cards bearing the ‘PASS’ mark hologram. The list of approved forms of ID may be amended or revised with the prior written agreement of Sussex Police, the Licensing Authority and Trading Standards without the need to amend the licence or conditions attaching to it.

  1. Signage advertising the ‘Challenge 25’ policy will be displayed in prominent locations in the premises.

  1. The Premises Licence Holder shall ensure that all staff members engaged or to be engaged, in selling alcohol at the premises shall receive the following induction training. This training will take place prior to the selling of such products:

*The lawful selling of age restricted products

*Refusing the sale of alcohol to a person who is drunk

Further verbal reinforcement/refresher training covering the above will be carried out thereafter at intervals not to exceed 12 weeks, with the date and time of the verbal reinforcement/refresher training documented.

All such training undertaken by staff members shall be fully documented and recorded. All training records shall be made available to Sussex Police, officers of the local authority and officers from the Trading Standards team upon request.

The minutes of the panel will be available as soon as practicable on the Council’s web-site under the rubric ‘Council and Democracy’.

London Road LAT #Brighton – Agenda – tonight 12/7 18.15 for 18.30 Calvary Church, Viaduct Rd

London Road LAT #Brighton – Agenda – tonight 12/7 18.15 for 18.30 Calvary Church, Viaduct Rd

(As per previously circulated email – except item 7)

  1. Welcome, introductions, apologies
  2. Minutes (7th June) – date of next meetings 6/9/16, 4/10/16, 15/11/16 (t.b.c), 6/12/16
  3. Policing and licensing:
    • progress update regarding situation of homeless/begging in south end of London Road
    • licensing application for off-sales etc. by Presuming Ed – they wish to go beyond the “licensing matrix” and conduct “off-premises” sales plus extend alcohol sales hours beyond the matrix cut off point
    • Policing priorities
  4. Planning issues – (if any)
  5. Viaduct Road clean-up, and consultation for community bins plans.
  6. report back on last HMO meeting 8th June
  7. Financial future
    • we currently have a balance in hand
    • Calvary Church Trustees have currently offered free use of the premises for meetings
    • we need to arrange more publicity – fliers etc.
    • grants are available from various sources
  8. Various updates and projects in and around London Road
    • DRARA – AGM was last Friday
    • Communities of the Level
    • BID – via Ann Townsend (if any)
    • Triangle
    • Francis Street
    • Barrows Residents Association
    • Rosehill Residents Association
  9. A.O.B. (please notify before the start of the meeting)

A Celebration of London Road – 24th November 18.30 Calvary Church, Viaduct Road #Brighton

By now many locals will have received the LAT newsletter advertising the meeting on November 24th.

This is an open public meeting to which all are welcome. We will be looking back over the progress and developments in London Road over the past years.

There will be an opportunity to talk to some of the “main players” in the recent changes.

There will be a talk from one of the key property developers in the New England area, Chris Gilbert of QED (www.qedproperty.com) – among many other things they are the people behind the Richardson’s Yard container housing project.

Newsletter-2015-open-mtg-page-jpg

Older people’s Council #Brighton

From Penny Morley

I mentioned the Older People’s Council meeting at the recent LAT but thought it might be of interest to any older people on your contact list to have written details  . A flier for the meeting is attached and will have speakers on the Fairness Commission & Care Act Implementation. Our website is www.olderpeoplescouncil.org which also has details of the meeting
Older-peoples-council-flier-15-09

Study Group development plans – near #Brighton station – on display 3,4 June

We have received the following invitation from Bellerby’s College (very near Jury’s Inn)

We are actually holding the public exhibition the week after you suggested we meet, and we would very much like you and members of LAT to come along.

 

As you know, Study Group has been working with development partner, Gilltown, and Aros Architects to bring forward proposals for a new building, for Bellerbys College, at the junction of Blackman Street and Station Road with Cheapside, to allow for their expansion in Brighton.

 

The exhibition will be held at Bellerbys College, Billinton Way, Brighton, BN1 4L, between 4pm and 7pm on Wednesday 3rd June and Thursday 4th June. I have enclosed a copy of the newsletter, which is being distributed to local households and businesses – please feel free to pass this on to any members/neighbours you think would be interested

 

The exhibition will give you an opportunity to view and comment on the proposals prior to the submission of a planning application to Brighton City Council; we hope to involve the community throughout the process, in particular local stakeholders, businesses and our close neighbours