Agenda for meeting 4th November 2014 18.15 Calvary Church

The agenda is as below subject to minor changes and additional info. If you are printing off a copy for the meeting, you might like to wait until Tuesday 4th Nov to do so!

1. Welcome, apologies and introductions

[apologies from Karen Ashdown, Tim Read, Martin West (Abacus), Chris Tucker (UOS Accommodation)]

2. Minutes of last meeting – 7th October 2014

2b. dates of next meetings

NOTE: the hall currently used is unavailable on 2/12/14 – shall we move to 9/12/14?

NOTE: we usually have no meeting in January

NOTE: P.W. will be serving in Sri Lanka during most of February 2015

3. Policing and Licensing

(N.B. Inspector Brian McCarthy is unable to come tonight, but is booked for 9/12/14 tbc)

– review of policing priorities

Providence Place Hotel: would we like to submit any further comments on the planning application? It is possible to a) support b) object c) comment

Possible submission of support:

Mr Watts has taken great care to consult with the community via the LAT and other methods. He has given a full brief of what he intends to achieve. There is no doubt that the building plans he has shown us are a vast improvement on the current situation, and that the lighting and active frontage will make a very positive contribution to a location that is commonly recognised as presenting significant community safety issues.

He has given us good reason to expect that this development will add to the on-going regeneration of the London Road area.

We wish to support his planning application.”

3. Viaduct Road improvements – with invitations to letting agents, residents, City Clean, Council enforcement Officers, University accomodation offices, student representatives.

To note 1: a “[student] housing LAT  HMO Action group” has been mooted [by unknown correspondents].

We would also like to ask for support from all the Article 4 LATs for the aims of the organisation, we have called ourselves the Brighton HMO Action Group and our web site is at: http://www.brightonhmoactiongroup.org.uk

To note 2: The council Scrutiny Panel has on its agenda the matter of investigating the role and contribution of Letting Agents. http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=726&MId=5368&Ver=4

4. Abacus House – updates.

Martin West (site manager) has offered to host site tours on either Wed 12th, Tues 18th or Wed 19th any time between 17.00-19.00

5. Updates and news

a. London Road improvement + Valley Gardens Workshop (6/11/14)

from Jim Mayor: Since we last spoke, work has been ongoing to refine our designs for Valley Gardens. We are also on the verge of securing funding to enable physical improvements to take place from 2015. I’m arranging a public workshop for the evening of 6th November (6-8pm) which will provide an opportunity to get an update from the design team, make any suggestions and generally agree any refinements as we move closer to a final scheme layout.  The meeting will be at the Phoenix Gallery, adjacent to St Peters. If you would like to attend please let me know by 1st November so I can ensure we have sufficient space etc.

b. Greenway – updates if any

from Elspeth:

Clear-Up on Sunday Nov 2nd, 12.30 – 3.30 (meet back of Clarendon Centre) and a meeting on Tuesday Nov 11th, 7.30-9.00 at The Edwards Room, Clarendon Centre

c. London Road Traders/ London Road CIC updates (if any)

d. Ditchling Rise Area Residents Association

From Elspeth: DRARA ‘Business’ MEETING Tuesday 9 Dec, 7.30 147 Ditchling Rise. Do send me any items you’d like on the agenda

g. the Level Forum – if anything

h. Providence Place Gardens – brand new blockwork has been laid on roadway beside Costa Coffee, and work is commencing on the terraced steps

i. PCC – has been approached and is able to come 3/2/14

5. Any other business (please notify Chair before the start of the meeting)

Agenda for next meeting 7th October 18.15 for 18.30 Calvary Church, Viaduct Rd

The [draft] agenda will include:

1. Welcome, apologies and introductions

apologies from Cllrs – at Town Hall meeting, PCSOs on rest day. We hope to welcome the manager of the Abacus site.

2. Minutes of last meeting – 2 September 2014

3. Policing and Licensing

– review of policing priorities

Providence Place Hotel: James Watts will update us. The name of the proposed Hotel/Conference Centre is “Beatnik Warehouse”. He has photo-montage to show, and will answer questions. He is keen to have the endorsement of the LAT for the Planning Application if we are so minded.

– what would we like to do *if* there is a Licensing Application for Wetherspoons in groundfloor of Abacus house?

– Rosehill Tavern: change of use BH2014/03012 has been applied for – pub -> housing

3. Viaduct Road improvements – with invitations to letting agents, residents, City Clean, Council enforcement Officers, etc.

An apology for non attendance has been received from the Head of Operations at City Clean, Mike Moon.We very much hope to make more progress on this item.

 

4. Updates and news

a. London Road improvement. More to report from Jim Mayor

b. Greenway – updates from last time

c. London Road Traders updates (if any)

d. Ditchling Rise Area Residents Association

e. feedback from community safety forum

f. Portas Scheme – has now formally come to an end. There are plans to form a Community Interest Company to continue the work of the Town Centre Liaison Officers + website),

g. the Level Forum – if anything

h. former Co-op – Abacus House – update if not already covered

j. Providence Place Gardens – brand new blockwork has been laid on roadway beside Costa Coffee

k. PCC – has been approached

5. Any other business (please notify Chair before the start of the meeting)