Hours of Work: Part Time (22.5 hours per week)
Fixed Contract: 12 months
Reports to: Brighton Business Improvement District Manager
In July 2012 Brighton’s London Road Town Centre was one of 15 locations that were successful in winning funding from the Department for Communities and Local Government to become Portas Pilots. The funding has been made available to test recommendations in the Portas Review, aimed at regenerating the nation’s High Streets and town centres.
The Brighton London Road Town Team is now looking for a Coordinator to deliver innovative projects which will help the London Road retail area fulfil its potential as an attractive, safe, vibrant and economically healthy place for residents, visitors, workers and students alike.
This new and exciting role will be based at the Brighton & Hove Business Forum working closely with the award winning business crime reduction partnership and the Business Improvement District Manager and will include a significant public-facing element in London Road. The projects are varied, ranging from public arts events to crime reduction initiatives, and a key element of the job will be to act as the main point of contact for local businesses, Town Team members, the media and other interested parties.
What type of person are we looking for?
A job description and person specification is shown below. Use the ‘essential’ and ‘desirable’ headings in the person specification to outline why you would be a suitable candidate for the job (maximum four sides of A4, minimum font size 11). Use real life examples of your past work experience to support your answers and don’t forget to include your address, email address and contact number. Return your application to Brighton & Hove Business Forum, First Floor. 8-11 Pavilion Buildings. Brighton BN1 1EE.
Closing date: 5.00 p.m. on Monday 20 May 2013
Interview date: Wednesday 29 May 2013 [no exceptions]
For more information about the role please contact
Tel: (01273) 291104
- Act as the main point of contact for the Brighton London Road Portas Pilot, maintaining close contact with the Town Team, Government representatives and the local community.
- Co-ordinate project activities and events relating to the Portas Pilot scheme
- Provide regular reports on Portas Pilot project activities to a range of audiences, to include evidence and key performance indicators
- To build effective working relationships with businesses, community representatives and all other key stakeholders in relation to the Brighton London Road Portas Pilot, maintaining a visible presence in the area
- To be responsible for the management and development of the Brighton London Road Town Team website and Twitter account
- Lead on branding and marketing the Brighton- London Road Portas Pilot area as a retail destination
- To maintain and develop a contact database for the Brighton London Road Portas Pilot
- Convene Town Team and Action Group meetings, taking minutes and posting them online alongside
- Attend National Portas Pilot training and networking events, sharing good ideas and initiatives with the Town Team
- Work closely with the Brighton Business Improvement District Manager to ensure that theLondon Roadretail area benefits from successful ideas at increasing footfall
DESIRABLE: A degree, equivalent qualification or two years of relevant experience
ESSENTIAL: Experience in an operations role managing a range of projects
ESSENTIAL: Experience of using a wide range of IT packages to a high standard, including Outlook, MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint
ESSENTIAL: Experience of Managing budgets, monitoring and report writing
ESSENTIAL: Experience of manageing events
DESIRABLE: Experience of town centre management, business support or similar role working with retailers
DESIRABLE: Experience of working with both the private and public sectors
DESIRABLE: Experience in marketing and PR
Skills & Knowledge
ESSENTIAL: Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate with a wide and varied audience
ESSENTIAL: Strong problem solving skills
ESSENTIAL: Excellent relationship management skills
ESSENTIAL: The ability to develop ideas into deliverable projects
ESSENTIAL: Strong time management skills and ability to prioritise workload
ESSENTIAL: Ability to exercise a high degree of personal initiative
ESSENTIAL: knowledge of the Portas Review
DESIRABLE: Knowledge of the London Road retail area and its characteristics
DESIRABLE: Knowledge of the current issues facing the UK retail industry
DESIRABLE: Strong social media and web management skills
ESSENTIAL: Flexibility – willingness and ability to adapt to change as the role/projects develop
ESSENTIAL: Ability to work outside of standard office hours where required